JSA is the leading national practice in the renewable energy sector (including wind, solar, hydro, waste-to-energy, and bio-mass). JSA's team of expert-lawyers in the renewable energy sector provides legal services at all stages of the value chain in the sector – across the spectrum of contractual, commercial, policy, regulatory and legal issues. The firm has advised clients on all aspects of establishment, procurement, operation and transfer of renewable energy projects.
The firm is regularly engaged in:
- Advising project developers, investors, suppliers and contractors on commercial/transactional issues and licensing, market structures, competition, performance standards and tariffs
- Conducting detailed due diligence exercises (from both the buy-side and sell-side) on renewable energy projects
- We advise financial institutions and borrowers in diverse equity, debt and mezzanine financing transactions
- Specialised dispute resolution
- Providing policy advice to Governments
- Presenting expert testimony to the Parliamentary Standing Committees and the Forum of Regulators on challenges faced by the sector and proposed legislative and policy changes
On the transactional side, JSA has advised clients with respect to:
- Power purchase agreements
- Engineering, procurement and construction arrangements
- Operation and maintenance arrangements
- Land acquisition and related documents
- Regulatory clearances, permits and consents
On the litigation side, JSA has represented clients before the Central and State Electricity Regulatory Commissions, the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity, and the writ courts in matters concerning tariffs and contractual disputes. The firm has also been engaged as counsel to lead and anchor precedent-setting regulatory and dispute mandates.