J. Sagar Associates (JSA) provides legal services to Private Equity (PE) funds across the full range of their operations and activities, besides International and Domestic Venture Capital entities.
The PE practice represents both investors and investee entities in diverse sectors. We are actively involved in legal and governmental issues affecting the Private Equity & Venture Capital industry on a national level, including legislative & regulatory matters, and provide ongoing support, advice and views to the various committees of Securities & Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
The PE practice complements and works closely with our Investment Funds practice to provide legal advice on several aspects including:
- Onshore & Offshore structuring and formation of funds in India and overseas and enabling tax-efficient modes of investing in India;
- Investment structures to ensure compliance with Takeover regulations, Insider Trading Regulations;
- Representation of funds, either alone or as lead members of a syndicate;
- Drafting applications for regulatory approvals and liaising with regulatory authorities, including SEBI / RBI registrations and compliance;
- Drafting offer documents for the raising of funds;
- Due Diligence of prospective investee companies and targets;
- Negotiation assistance from term sheet stage till closing;
- Assisting in downstream investments;
- Advising on ongoing activities of portfolio companies;
- Assistance with exit strategies and implementation thereof;
- Assisting in structuring and setting up Advisory and Asset Management companies;
- Advising investee companies on issues relating to receiving venture capital and Private Equity investment;
- Negotiations & drafting of transaction documents including investor agreements, share subscription/purchase agreements, joint venture agreements and shareholder agreements;
- Documentation & overall transactional support, including working closely with regulators like the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the Foreign Investment Facilitation Portal (FIFP) and SEBI
- Structuring incentives and sharing of the 'carry' for fund managers & research analysts.
We have represented and currently represent several kinds of funds in their India initiatives, including Venture Capital Funds, Incubators, Private Equity and Hedge Funds.